Monday, 29 August 2011

TEDx follow up

So last weekend I spoke at the TEDxBrasd'Or event in Cape Breton.  It was very well run and the venue was really nice.  this was the first time I'd been to the Membertou Convention Centre, really impressive.  If all goes according to pan the video footage of the talks should be ready to post in another week or two, and I'll be able to post the link so you can all finally see what I've been going on about for the past month or so.

One of the things I've noticed is that it's really tough to explain to people what my talks are about.  I generalize by saying I talk about women and fitness and the barriers some women face to becoming physically active.  That's a really generic explanation that doesn't really hit on it. Part of the reason I say that is because I don't want to show all my cards.  Why would you listen to the talk if I sum it all up before hand at the coffee table?  I would certainly lose some of my shock-value if I were to do that. 

But I do wonder if I shouldn't clarify a bit more.  When I say "women's barriers to fitness" people say oh, so you talk about the husband not looking after the kids while the woman goes to the gym, or can't afford fitness classes... stuff like that, right?

Erm... not quite.  When I clarify I'm talking about the social and psychological reasons I mostly get blank stares.  Sometimes they realize I'm talking about things like being made fun of for "running like a girl" as kid.  That's part of it.  But I never fully tell 'em because it's like letting the audience see my dance costume before a performance.  Just can't ruin it for them.

Plus, you know, I DO so enjoy the look of shock on people's faces when I start talking about how some women can't exercise without fear of being called a slut. THEN they're sitting up and paying attention! 

Hmmm... I wonder how much my hit count on this blog is going to go up just by people goggling the word slut?  Yeah, it's really that powerful.  But you'll have to wait for the video for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment