Wednesday, 19 June 2013

The Heavy Metal Workout (v2.0)

Just over a year ago my friend Kris asked me if I'd do a fitness class at the local Relay for Life event.  Just a little something to break up the actually running & walking all night.  In discussing what to do that would appeal to a varied crowd I mentioned I had an idea I had always wanted to try, but never had the chance.  And thus, The Heavy Metal Workout came to be.

The class went over so well I was asked to come back and do it again this year.  As last year it was a lot of fun and I was pleased to see how many people, especially the youngest ones, knew so many of the songs I selected.  It was my little slice of being a rock star - I even had one " fan" in front who sang along to and cheered for every song on the list!  For people who'd been walking/running the relay since supper time, they exercised and sang along at 1:30am like true troopers!!

This year my friend and piano player, Kim, was there to participate with her family.  She managed to get a pretty decent pic of me right before I started the workout. 

Notice the shirt, eh?  These colours don't run, but they do teach cardio to classic metal tunes!  As I always say, there's a fine line between pumping iron and Iron Maiden! The class format was a mix of cardio kick-box moves and some no-equipment toning.  We finished with a good stretch-out to Dio's "Holy Diver" - a song choice not lost on the rockers in this crowd.

And speaking of the song list:
Rock You - Helix
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
666 The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Fox on the Run - Girlschool
Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions
The Final Countdown - Europe
 Holy Diver - Dio

Thank you Sackville Relay for Life Committee for once again inviting me to add a little sweat, a few laughs and some rockin' tunes to your event!!

No comments:

Post a Comment